Reflective Statement - WIM

This project was to create a city alongside our creative collaborators. The collaborator I got was Constantin Brancusi. He was a modernist sculptor who focused on the relationship and connections between individuals and our own representation of ourselves.
I decided to focus on using basic and smoothed shapes, with high contrast between residential and public buildings, or our personal and outward characteristics. After doing some research into Brancusi’s history and life, I decided that the city should be situated in his birth country, Romania. I also decided that the areas influenced by him should strongly contrast what already existed there, as his work was largely about making an impact and questioning conventions.

The city that I finally developed is one of a collisions of styles, technology and purposes.
I found Maya a lot harder than I expected. Its very different doing a tutorial you can follow side by side as opposed to doing it entirely off your own back. I found that you do not approach projects in the same way, and even very simple models can take a lot longer than you expect as, although the skills are transferable, adjustments needed to alter effects and get the aesthetics required can be tricky to work out on your own. I think in the future I will allow a lot more time for the whole Maya pipeline, at least until I get quicker and better understanding of the programme. I will also endeavour to get my textures finished and tested earlier as this was a bit of a challenge for me.
Overall I am very happy with my final rendered image. I feel that it has a lot of atmosphere and although it doesn't perfectly match the concept art, I feel it improves upon it, taking the final piece to a much more finished and mature place. 
We shall see what tomorrow's Crit brings, and I will type up the feedback and a reflection afterwards. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Summer project 2017 - Drawings 1-22

The Five Act Structure of the Greatest Showman - Film Review