Pugwash Aesthetics update | Minor

Over the summer I have been trying to find the aesthetic I really want to have for Pugwash. The film needs to be a mix of 2D, 3D and mixed animation media. I intent the film to have a number of different styles throughout the film, with anything that is "real world" being in full 3D animation. I then want the animation to move into more experimental and mixed media as you head into the dream like sequence.

For this reason I have been researching other people's animations that use the more experimental techniques to create their style.

Original Pugwash animation

Of course since this work is based on the original Pugwash series, it was key to do research into the style of both the books and the animated series. The original animation was done with split pins and movable tabs that allowed specific area of the characters and sets to be moved to create the animation, then filmed live. 







Pugwash did have an update to it's animation style and method with the newer series of the show. This allowed for smoother, more natural animation and more bodily expression.


Digital 2D cut out animation

This is the digital version of the form of animation that made me fall in love with animating in the first place. Since the film is almost my origin story, it would be wrong for it now to have a decent place in my film. My favourite example of this is the animated cut scenes from the game 'Alice Madness Returns', alongside 'Live for the Moment' and 






Silhouettes

Silhouettes are one of the oldest forms of animation, and something I really love. This style can also be incredibly effective in creating drama, so I intend to include it at the height of the drama of the film. It could also demonstrate the fear that a small child feels in an uncomfortable or new situation.






I will be uploading the updated version of my animation over the next few days, which shows how the different styles are used to build drama and affect the mood of each section. It is just taking me a little longer to put this animation together as I really want to get the feel and structure just right. But watch this space!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Summer project 2017 - Drawings 1-22

The Five Act Structure of the Greatest Showman - Film Review