Understanding the Captain Pugwash style

In starting out on the Captain Pugwash project, I decided the first key step was to understand how the Spirit of the animation is portrayed, and how to capture this. I also wanted to start identifying the aesthetic components.

I started out by drawing existing assets in order to understand construction.





I then began dissecting the characters and looking at specific facial features that are present within the existing assets. 


I then began trying to construct myself as a small child in the style, however I don’t think they fit well into the aesthetic, so I decided to return to the existing assets to research more. 


I redrew some characters as well as watching some of the animations that I could find online. I think this gave me a much better understanding, although not perfect, of how to construct the characters. 





I then began to try to figure out how to create myself within the aesthetic world, from old photographs of me. Above are two of these photographs, as well as my initial designs.

I then began trying to design some of the other characters at the event, beginning with the businessmen.


From here I intend to figure out a list of characters and "cast" them based on real people, as this will help with character development. I want to put these together, and then figure out the narrative.

Comments

  1. Rod n' Ron - Animated short

    https://vimeo.com/68307465

    Rod n' Ron Rigging Demo

    https://vimeo.com/61904692

    Snoopy in The Peanuts Movie

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zQpUQPrAfQM

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Summer project 2017 - Drawings 1-22

The Five Act Structure of the Greatest Showman - Film Review