Visual references - Fantastic Voyage

I began creating some basic influnce maps around ideas and elements that I would/might want to include in the animation. These started off with finding textures for the heart, so I could consider colours, representations etc. I then began looking at plasma and the similarity between the shapes that plasma beams form and the veins that surround the heart. I also decided to look at the idea of the heart as a "pump" and what real world pumps look like. I decided to focus on Victorian, highly mechanical pumps as these are far more interesting that the small, compact pumps we use these days.






Looking at the pumps reminded me of the illustrations of Heath Robinson, who drew absurdly complex and impractical contraptions to perform simple functions. This is not something I want to include in the project as it obviously has to be factual, however the drawing style is very interesting and may prove influential to some of my art direction.







He even made some of his contraptions. This one is a cork screw!





I think what really speaks to me here is the simple way in which the story is told. The mechanisms and construction are communicated effectively without overly detailing each individual little part of the construction, and you are still in complete understanding of what is happening in the image. This is something that I want to achieve in my art direction. 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Summer project 2017 - Drawings 1-22

The Five Act Structure of the Greatest Showman - Film Review